Advanced Edition of Street Photography Practical Handbook
- Oct 25, 2019
- 0 Comment(s)
If I have seen the children's shoes of the New Handbook of Street-sweeping Practical Combat, which I have written before, and feel that they are still a little helpful, then the following advanced edition is expected to help you as well. Because it's an advanced version, I put some noun explanations in front of me, and then I won't repeat them. In fact, the more official view of street sweeping should belong to one of the shooting methods of street photography. However, there are not many well-known Street photographers in China. Of course, there may be many factors of national conditions. So what we are more familiar with may be Bresson, Magnum, Senshan and so on. In addition, please don't think that if you look at the tutorial, you can improve your photography quality. I think even if you have it, it's very limited. In fact, whether it's street sweeping or street photography, in fact, it's important or shooting!
I. Explanation of Conventional Nouns
Av file: Aperture priority mode. Aperture parameters can be set by dial. The microprocessor determines the best shutter parameters according to the aperture parameters you choose and the scene conditions. This function is suitable for works with special requirements for depth of field, such as highlighting the theme and blurring the background or making the whole scene clear. The advantage of maximum aperture is greater sensitivity and shutter speed. The advantage of minimum aperture is the highest picture quality and many special effects can be taken with some ISO and shutter index. Tv file: Shutter priority mode. Shutter parameters can be set by dial. The microprocessor determines the best aperture parameters according to the shutter parameters you choose and the scene conditions. This function is suitable for works with special requirements for moving objects or characters, such as increasing shutter speed to capture clear moving objects or characters, and reducing shutter speed to photograph moving objects or characters.
P file: It has both Av and Tv mode functions. The microprocessor calculates and chooses the best values of the two modes.
M file: Manual mode, microprocessor does not participate in any way, all the initiative is given to you, such as aperture, shutter, focal length, auxiliary flash, flash intensity and so on. If you do not choose, then all parameters will have default values or follow the values set by the previous use of the mode. In M mode, because you choose the combination of different parameters, the same scene can be derived from a variety of works emerge endlessly.
Looking at the World Author from a Different Angle: Shanghai Cold Air
Pull-off: Pull-off shooting method is actually very simple, that is, change the focal length quickly when shooting, it will form the effect of pull-off. Many friends think it is violent shaking or shaking. In fact, it is not. It changes the focal length quickly in the instant of shooting shutter, and the camera can not have a large shaking or shaking. Otherwise, the effect of detonation will be greatly reduced. Pulling explosion can be divided into reverse pulling and forward pulling. The forward pulling is the effect from far and near, and the reverse pulling is the effect from near to far. Safety shutter: Simply put, it is to ensure the shutter speed of hand-held stable shooting. If the shutter speed is higher than that, the stability of hand-held photography can be ensured; if the shutter speed is lower, the shaking of the hand may cause the photo to be false. So, what kind of shutter speed can be called a safe shutter? In fact, the safety shutter is not invariable, it is closely related to the focal length of the lens used. Safety shutter speed is the reciprocal of focal length, that is, safety shutter speed = 1/focal length. For example, if a 50mm lens is used in Canon EOS 500D, then 1/80s is the safety shutter (because the focal length conversion coefficient of EOS 500D is 1.6, the actual equivalent focal length of 50mm lens is 80mm). If the shutter speed of 1/125 s or 1/250s is selected, the stability of shooting can be guaranteed. On the contrary, if the shutter speed of 1/30s is selected, there may be a situation of "shooting virtual".
Perspective: In photography, the perspective is in the general environment, the camera can receive the angle range of the image, also can often be called the field of vision. In addition to trying conventional flat-angle composition, you can also try tilting your camera, which can give your subject a more dynamic look. Or try to shoot from a down-looking perspective. Different perspectives will perceive different styles of photos, so always shooting from different perspectives will bring you and the viewer greater sensory experience.
Visualization: When you shoot with a long focal length and a large aperture, you will find that only one part of the focus is clear, while the other part is outside the focal length (depth of field is small, otherwise it is called depth of field). The ambiguous outer part of the focus is what you call the "virtual effect". Sometimes photographers deliberately "defocus" the subject to achieve a specific visual effect.
Preparations for Street Photography
What is the real purpose of street photography? Is it for better understanding of camera performance, improving your ability to capture and understanding of composition, etc? Not necessarily, I think everyone has their own goals. The purpose of my shooting is to record and share the beautiful things I see on the street full of emotion. Every photographer should realize that no matter how brilliant a photographic work is and how well the technology is in place, if it is far from love, understanding of human beings and understanding of human destiny, it must not be a success. Work of merit." So what needs to be prepared before shooting? Flash lamp? Tripod? Camera lens? In fact, many people have been asking me whether the shelf is open or not. In fact, I would like to say that if the environment permits me, of course, but when you stand in front of people with such a huge tripod and turn on the flashlight, in other words, how do you feel when you are photographed by others like that? So think about it in another way, is it better not to be perceived by the other side? So street sweeping equipment does not require how high-end, mainly portable, a host, a lens or a micro-single or mobile phone (as long as you can accept its noise and later no details) can be used as a street sweeping tool, many master films are from film, cards, mobile phones, so don't worry about the lack of equipment on. We can't sweep the streets, but there may be a certain gap in the quality of the final film, but if we train our hands, I think it's still based on the principle of convenience and lightness. Where to shoot? My personal advice is to try not to wander around aimlessly, unless your time is really idle and useless, try to step on the area where you want to shoot in advance and see which street lights or hall lights are suitable for taking photos, and where billboards are suitable for taking passers-by. After stepping on the area, your film production rate will be significantly higher than you have not been to the place, because although stepping on the point may waste some shutters, but in fact, these are to prepare for the film, I believe that some people will say that they go out to sweep the streets with very little shutter, take 10, and then 8 can be produced, No. Question, then you can press Alt + F4 as you see in this article, because you may have skipped the advanced stage and entered the creative stage, which requires creativity rather than mass composition. If you haven't reached the goal of taking 10 children's shoes and 8 children's shoes, please continue to pay attention to this post.
Searching for Sunshine Author: Shanghai Cold Air
3. The Timing of Street Photography
When do you think it's suitable for shooting? Day, night? In fact, street photography is a kind of behavior without any restrictions. There is no evidence that the success rate is higher during the day than at night, or that it is easier to produce films at night than during the day. Street photography relies on luck and experience. A skilled Street photographer can cope with all kinds of weather conditions, instead of asking himself often, is this kind of day suitable for street sweeping? Can this place be taken? What we need to do before we become it is to shoot more and practice more. Maybe someone has been worried that if it rains tomorrow, I'll take pictures? In fact, many news documentaries are often used for the natural reaction of people in these bad weather, so as long as the weather is not too bad, we can choose to persist in sweeping the streets, if you have decided to shoot today, do not give up easily, otherwise you will give up again and again, more and more. I don't have the courage to shoot in the street.
First of all, the recommended weather is rainy day: whether it's drizzling or rainy, the street may have a lot of topics. If it's rainy, then the neon lights on the streets and intersections are good places to view. Tar roads will become free mirrors because of the erosion of rainwater, and all kinds of reflections and shadows are possible. There will be, at this time you can select some scenes you have trampled on in advance to shoot, there will be unexpected results. If it's raining heavily, then choosing a tea house by the window will be a very good observer position. First, you can take pictures of people who come in because of the heavy rain. Secondly, the raindrops on the window glass will make the whole street show another flavor. Finally, you won't get wet. Why not wait until the rain is light?
Second, the recommended weather is PM2.5 quality weather, no doubt, a bad weather you feel bad, others will think the same, tourists, office workers, students will, so choose a good weather, clouds can see the sun or the moon day is very important, the weather is good, then everyone's. The mood will be good, so the smiles on the face will be more than usual, the number of people and children traveling will increase, and the topics will naturally be more.
Another recommendation is snow days: the reason is similar to rainy days, the difference is that snow is because of the cold, then this cold night if you can take a picture of couples mutually covering hands or supporting each other, I think it should be very loving and resonant. Finally, regardless of the weather, choose the subway or shopping mall interior, choose a location by the information desk or the account, there may be more stories. So suppose we have the direction, equipment and weather ready, then we can start searching for the target.
Time Stay Author: Shanghai Cold Air
IV. Selection of the Photographed Population
First of all, I personally do not support the photography of the underprivileged. Of course, I do not object to this kind of documentary. It is very easy to take a picture of the homeless or street artists. Anyone can do it, but this kind of action itself does not have much photographic value, and it is also the most likely to cause disputes on the street. A class of people, because they themselves depend on begging, entertainment or other non-professional livelihoods, you do so, even if not insult, may also be considered as a kind of contempt, so it is likely to encounter tremendous resistance, why? Take a step back, what is the purpose of our street sweeping? Relax, record your life, share your happiness instead of looking for something? So this kind of subject can be avoided, unless the real story is very touching, or you are personally involved, for example, if you give the other party some help, then you can invite the other party to take a photo as a souvenir. In addition, there are many people coming and going back and forth on the road every day. Do we just need to see one of them sitting, lying down, waiting for the car, drinking water, smoking, pushing the baby carriage? Of course, all of these can be filmed, but what is the meaning of filming these? Are they special? What do you want to express through these passers-by? People who first come into contact with street photography tend to think that this kind of street sweeping or photographing of passers-by is street photography, but in fact, most of the actions taken are meaningless, so we need to select suitable subjects or characters from a wide range of subjects, focusing on the stories of the characters. Next is the office worker, whether on the road in a hurry, or on the subway or on the way to work slowly, in fact, it is very easy to find a topic of a crowd, and this crowd is quite extensive, not subject-matter constraints.
TA's Love Author: Shanghai Cold Air
V. Four Elements of Photography
Time: Clear time, how to define a clear time, street sweeping, of course, only outside people can distinguish time by light. Location: It's better to have clear scenes, such as Old Lane, New Lane, School, Factory, Traffic Persons: The main characters should not be more than 6, the main characters should not be more than 3, otherwise there are hundreds of people in a picture, or dozens of people, how can you let others know what you want to show? Event: In fact, this is the most difficult. Many films have good light, tone and composition, but no one, personally more agree with street photography or try to show through people. If no passer-by appears in the whole street sweeping, such films will soon be forgotten and not be celebrated.
Love Author of Interlaced Time: Shanghai Cold Air
6. Shooting Skills
1. Is manual focus better or automatic focus better? I think there are 100 reasons for 100 people. My idea is to use what you are best at. I personally recommend auto-focusing and P-gear, so that the automatic matching of aperture and shutter machine will make up for many moments when you can't press the shutter. Because we sweep the streets to shoot, not to shoot anyone. So only taking pictures is a success, just like many people say that I met XX star at the airport today. What about the photos? No, but another person took a blurred picture with his mobile phone and the newspaper also adopted it. Why? This shows that there is a qualitative difference between taking pictures and taking pictures. Taking pictures is the kingly way. Look. It depends entirely on your experience. 2. How appropriate is the ISO preset? As I said in the Entrance Edition, there is no absolute reference value, so take Canon 500D as an example, ISO1600 is the upper limit. If you are not sure how much is suitable, then recommendation is automatic, time-saving and labor-saving. It's too late for you to confirm the reset. The general concept of street ISO400 is enough before it's completely dark. Enough, even if the ISO1600 shutter is only a fraction of the total darkness, how to do, several ways: first, a large aperture lens is needed at this time, secondly, AV, the aperture is opened to the maximum, then TV mode, improve shutter speed to the safety shutter, finally M gear, all manual preset, random response.
3. How to avoid scorching? Maybe because of blind shooting, shutter speed is not enough, the reason why the subject moves too fast, etc., we will all run away from focus. The first way to avoid running away from focus is continuous shooting. Continuous shooting is the best way to ensure the film. But many people will say that my shutter is very expensive once. I want to say why did you buy the camera? Who has fewer shutters? Or to make movies? Legendary blockbuster? In fact, it's just a tool. If you are afraid of wasting shutter in street sweeping, then I don't think you need to advance in street sweeping. Just keep in the primary stage. The primary stage is shooting at a fixed point. Mobile shooting will inevitably waste some shutters, in fact, I would like to say that the shutter for a few hundred, a high-end machine shutter to say that there are 30W times, 30W what concept, if you take 2000 pictures a month, 2 W4 thousand pictures a year, then you can also take more than 10 years. In your opinion, apart from the film machine, which digital host can survive for more than 10 years? And every month 2000 pieces, the actual volume is already very large, of course, I said these do not include professional photographers, wedding or exhibition shooting may be tens of thousands of shutters at a time, I think it is normal, that is the work needs, then do you sweep the streets is the work needs? No, street sweeping is recreation and entertainment, so it's not harmful for you to take a picture and press the shutter hundreds of times. Can you sweep the street every day? I can't. Another way to avoid defocusing is to preset the focus instead of the invariable default focus, which is indeed the most accurate, but if the moving speed of the object is not as fast as you expected, it is easier to capture the desired picture if the left or right focus is preset in advance.
Love Author of Interlaced Time: Shanghai Cold Air
4. How to master the color temperature? Because my entry machine does not have the actual value of the presupposition, only the mode of presupposition, so generally I do not really choose, in fact, if it is really overexploded film, in addition to dead white most of the later can be pulled back. If you are sure you can try this presupposition, otherwise you will not move it easily, or it will be more reliable automatically. In addition to some indoor or street lights need to be replaced, if we want to save energy later black and white will also solve the problem of color temperature, because we mainly shoot, later is to modify the early stage, if not solve, I think later black and white is the best choice for documentary film. 5. What happened when the shutter was pressed and the other person looked at you? Don't panic, you're just a photographer. I think everything is normal. Nobody knows the camera these days. Besides, don't look back at the camera immediately. You can take a few more pictures. After a while, you can see it again. In fact, it's also very power-saving. Repeated preview of the telegraph will go very fast. If the other party questioned your behavior, then you can turn the photo to TA and tell TA what the purpose or theme of your shooting is, and think that he is more suitable for the theme he wants to shoot. If the other party feels bad or unwilling to cooperate, then delete it. In fact, if you did not delete it at that time, you will be right when you release it later. Fang found that if you delete it again, it will probably cause more trouble.
6. The choice of zoom lens is of course more convenient, any subject can be shot. If there is no clear shooting theme, then choose zoom can make your shooting opportunities more, not because running around and delaying the shooting time. If you decide that there is a clear purpose and theme for street sweeping on that day, you can also choose a suitable focal point. Focusing is not as convenient as zooming in perspective, but it is easy to cultivate lens sense in the shooting process.
7. Case analysis of some shooting techniques: (with illustrations for reference only)
The road of time:
Main figure parameters for reference: Canon 500D shutter 1/40 aperture F2.0 focal length 35 ISO 200
Many people are curious about how to take this picture. In fact, I also borrowed a picture of a bicycle crossing the road that I had seen to select the approaching section for imitation shooting. So I also imagine that the original image is indeed an image, what may need to be prepared? I guess it needs a zoom lens with a large aperture or a long focal length to shoot, and a tripod to fix it, because it must be very heavy, and it's also a night scene. Nobody can run around with 200 fixed lenses? After focusing at the preset center point, waiting for the bicycle to enter the preset focus can basically coincide with the lamp of the Semi-virtual background. This may require several attempts at different parameter ratios. Since many people, including me, do not have this kind of equipment, it can only be said that this is a hypothesis. If anyone succeeds in the experiment, please let me know my shooting concept. Because my host computer is 500D, it does not have the function of multi burst, and I do not have a large aperture zoom or long focus lens. What should I do? It can only be achieved after shooting: Firstly, select the appropriate overlooking angle of overpass M file, preset the appropriate parameter ratio, fix the point of focus, take a picture of the bicycle passing through the intersection, and take several pictures in succession. Then keep the camera still and quickly switch to manual focusing mode. After fine-tuning the focusing ring, the car feels invisible. When circles appear in the picture, circles of different sizes take several pictures in succession. Because it is an intersection, the car may move at any time, and take more pictures to correct it when it is easy to synthesize later. Since then, you have a single bicycle as a large depth of field and a small depth of field with circles. Later two pictures are synthesized (the method of synthesizing is not mentioned in the later period, just pick one you are familiar with). Then you sharpen the bicycle part to highlight the main body separately, adjust the respective percentage of the two pictures, and correct the overall contrast and tone. Or add some noise to increase the sense of the picture. I tried to shoot more than 120 pictures in this group. Steps:
Main figure parameters for reference: Canon 500D shutter: 1/8 second aperture: F11.0 focal length: 17 ISO: 1600
This is a composition pattern that I use more. It belongs to semi-blind shooting, which is why it is said to be semi-blind shooting, because of the limitation of distance or place, and I do not have a flip screen. If there is a host of flip screen, it may be more convenient. The preset parameters are better than that. Generally, if you want to shoot the streamline of moving objects, the shutter should be controlled in about 1/8-1/15, which is more appropriate. ISO according to the scene, I One is indoor, so it is 1600. In order to show a large depth of field, the aperture needs a smaller aperture. The focus is preset panoramic focusing. The shooting mode is 2 seconds delay. The camera is placed on the ground, mainly to avoid shaking. Then, after waiting for the subject to approach you, press the shutter, and the step of the subject can reach the picture in about 2 seconds. Central point, the advantage is that the pace is naturally not artificial. If it is not suitable, wait for another group until you are satisfied, but the tourists are scarce, just like my group is the only two people passing in 10 minutes, so we must seize the opportunity, at ordinary times we can also try to take their own footsteps at home and predict the speed of the shutter. I tried to shoot two of these pictures. Against the world:
Main figure parameters for reference: Canon 500D shutter: 1/60 second aperture: F5.0 focal length: 41 ISO:200
You might ask, where is this? This is the ceiling of the entrance and exit of the subway. I was taking the escalator when I took this picture. I happened to see this reflection when I looked up. Then I waited for the elevator to stop. I found a suitable support point. Looking up at the film, the parameters were not specified, mainly waiting for the interest of the right person or vehicle to increase or decrease the picture. Sex or storytelling, late correction exposure and irregular reflection light can be, because the ceiling may have irregular graphics, can make appropriate screenshots to achieve the balance of the picture. I tried to shoot five of these pictures. The way forward:
Main figure parameters for reference;'Canon 500D shutter: 1/100 second aperture: F8.0 focal length: 81 ISO: 1600
This is also a very curious composition structure. This perspective is a cross-sectional composition of the automatic sliding doors that can be seen in and out of the residential area or school factory doors. As long as the angle and light are appropriate, the center of the closed door will have this effect. You can observe more in peacetime, of course, not every one. All the doors are suitable. It's better to choose the longer ones and the tighter ones. Focus can be selected according to the degree of bending of the door. If appropriate, it would be better to wait for the person in and out of the opposite side to appear at the center of the picture, which requires a certain amount of luck. I try to shoot three of these pictures, and choose the one that suits me better.
10. Ranking of Advanced Points
Keep shooting in RAW format for reasons you understand. If you don't think there's a theme picture for street sweeping, try to take a picture of your family. Some indoors are also suitable for shooting humanities such as IKEA, Starbucks, Universal Harbor and so on. Sometimes they are just for shooting some special scenes. Lens or cameras can be borrowed. Sometimes we can add some explanatory words to the works to make the viewers understand the ideas you want to express better. You need to try different brands of cameras or different lenses to shoot the same scene, which can improve your understanding of parameters and lenses. Try not to delete the film before it is exported. Although you can't guarantee that every photo will be available, you can't guarantee that the deleted photos will be restored by 100%.
Don't always use only one monitor to repair drawings. Different brands of displays have completely different effects. There are many tools in the later stage, but they are not as important as those taken in the earlier stage. Even at this stage, there is still no world-wide lens. It is important to have a zoom or fixed focus beside you. Master's words must not be unbelievable. Why not not not be unbelievable, because it must be a summary from the experience and lessons of others. Why not believe it all because it's not you, you can only refer to it instead of plagiarizing it. Why not shoot well enough, that's because you're not close enough! Why underexposed or overexploded, it is because you always choose the default focus or center focus, you can try to choose different points to focus, sometimes you can get unexpected pictures. Look at other people's works more often, sometimes with half the effort. Good shots can really improve the level of the work, but that's not absolute. The key is to choose and use them.
If you want to take a good night view, you'd better put on a shelf. Careful use of flash, do you want to tell the world that you are photographing? Preset 1-2 shooting parameters, fixed occasions will get twice the result with half the effort. Listen to others'opinions. Don't spend too much time in the later stages unless it's the entries. Rain and snow days are actually very easy to shine, we must make good use of them. There are no absolutely matched parameters. Appropriate participation in collective photography activities to obtain more examples of composition. The instructions of the camera must be read several times. It is a good opportunity to participate in all kinds of exhibitions. In composition, attention should be paid to the horizon, sea level, horizontal and vertical wall lines.
In other additions... think again. If you think this log is useful, you are welcome to share your collection. Of course, you are also welcome to communicate with me.